Only the laziest probably doesn't want to be deputy in Kyrgyzstan. Of course! Who refuses from state privileges such as an official car with a driver, apartments, trips abroad, gasoline, cellular and other benefits? Annually, millions of soms from the treasury are spent on these expenses. More than 40,000 soms per month are spent only for one deputy in addition to wages and good bonuses. Thus nobody can check the cost effectiveness and degree of efficiency of parliamentarians' labor. 24.kg news agency decided to find out the respondents why poor Kyrgyzstan allows itself such waste.
Maksat Iskakov, the Director of Erkin Consult LLC:
- It is natural that the state should maintain the deputies. How could it be otherwise? I am far from thinking that it is necessary to completely exclude all items of expenditure, which today reach 40,000 soms per month. Rather, the question is, the items of expenditure should be revised. For example, petrol, in any case, is needed for trips. If during a meeting with voters in the regions there is no place to sleep, then the item of payment board and lodging should be preserved. It is really necessary to keep only needed items such as gasoline, accommodation, meals. But stationery, rental of premises for meetings with voters, souvenirs, flowers - it's too much. Isn't there any premise for meetings with voters in the regions? And one more thing. Expenses should be reimbursed according to the fact. That is, in case of an actual flow. And the reward system should be completely transparent. Voters need to know for what the deputy was honored with merit.
Alybek Akunov, the Head of the Department Philosophy and Social Researches of The Kyrgyz State Technical University (KSTU) named after I. Razzakov:
- According to my information, 29 percent of the national budget goes to maintenance of the parliament and government. I think that we need to reduce their costs. For our country, such a luxury is not permissible. I think their salaries also should be reconsidered. It must be equal to the average wage of civil servants. As you know, not poor people are sitting in the parliament. I believe that without these additional payments of 40,000 monthly, they should perform their duties.
Vasily Dashkov, the Deputy of the Bishkek State Council:
- If the state provided for such expenditures, it means they are justified. People are working, and, of course, there are expenses, they meet with voters, write laws. If you look at the costs of Deputies in Russia, they have a lot more, and it is quite normal. Because such amounts are not pull out of a hat, it is to ensure the necessary requirements in the course of their duties.
Kalicha Umuraliyeva, the Head of "Nashe Pravo" (Our right) Social Fund:
- In previous convocations the deputies stood a smaller amount. And all this is not enough for them. Rather than initiate useful laws they think only about their own benefits. Many of the deputies are businessmen, and they came to the Parliament to protect or promote their business. I call the deputies to tame their appetite. And in general I think that it is necessary to reduce the number of the deputies in 2-3 times and instead to strengthen the parliament unit with qualified personnel. They will write be competent bills. The treasury shouldn't pay for the services of consultants and assistants of the deputies. If they do not know how to read or write the bills, let them pay out of their own pocket to assistants. The deputy should be denied official cars. Let them ride to work on bicycles. We are poor country; we need to learn to save in order to prevent collapse. Instead we breed large army officials.
Cholpon Osmonov, the Director General of Migrants Support Center, Moscow:
- I was in the Bundestag, there the Germans work for the people. When they need something urgently, they just ride a bike! When I first saw the deputy on the bike for me it was a revelation! What our deputies? Each has car plus luxury apartments, high salary. For what??? There are, of course, there are some deputies working for the people, but they are few.
Dastanbek Dzhumabekov, the Deputy of the Parliament:
- Frankly, I don't know exactly how much money is allocating to those or other entertainment expenses. I know the size of your salary, how much is allocated for gasoline, but I don't know estimates relative to the rest. I want to note that all items of expenditure are formed not by us. Such allowances, there are other public servants. If we were offered to increase a salary up to 100,000 soms, then we certainly would refuse. And now we get around 30,000 soms. It's not so much for me and my family.
- What do you think about staff reduction of deputy corps?
- Many voters locally ask us these questions. We explain that in 2010, the new Constitution, which stipulates that Parliament must have 120 people, was adopted at the referendum. People voted in a referendum, and we have to respect that decision. Such number of deputies is justified because lower risk of corruption during the passage and adoption of certain laws is sharply decreasing. Deputies are watching one another, so that no one lobbied own interests. And if the number of deputies was only 40 or 50, then it would be much easier to bribe them.
Danil Seitaliev, the driver of Manas airport taxi:
- I think that is wrong. Yes, of course, the deputies must have necessary expenses, but they should be clearly itemized. If they are going abroad, we must justify the need for such a trip, and how useful it is, and only then one you decide whether to grant them public money or not. And just to give them 40,000 - it boggles the mind! Especially considering such difficult situation in the economy. This is luxury.
Gulmira Azizova, the master of vocational training in vocational school №17:
- Of course, my attitude towards this practice is negative. For example, my salary is 5,000 soms. Most of the money is spent on treatment and education. And when I hear of such expenditures of deputies I become angry. They have a high salary and bonuses, and also they are given money for something else. Why taxpayers should pay the cost of deputies for the same souvenirs and flowers? If they want, then let them buy for own money.