Last week, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on the application of special economic measures "to protect national interests" of the country. According to the document, from August 7, Russia has imposed a complete ban on the supply of beef, pork, fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, cheese, milk and dairy products from the EU countries, USA, Australia, Canada and Norway - countries that have imposed sanctions against the Russian Federation in connection with the events in Ukraine. Limits are valid for one year. The embargo didn't affect children's nutrition. The reaction of the majority of Russians in this regard is still unknown, but the controversy has begun, some disapprove the decision of the government, while others - against.
24.kg news agency decided to ask Kyrgyzstanis from which imported products Kyrgyzstan could refuse.
Daniyar Derkembayev, expert cook of international category:
- From many! The fact is that because of the lack of control (and corruption), our poor people are being poisoned, as... Well, okay.
GMO - a Trojan horse, with which Kyrgyzstanis are treated, food supplements, banned in the European Union, uncontrollably present in many products. These chickens and chicken legs are stuffed with growth hormones and antibiotics. In general, all of the products, especially from China, need to be checked carefully, otherwise we will die out!
A buffalo meat or Indian beef - is not edible. But most of fast food outlets buy such a waste, hence the low price for manty and samsy. It is time to ring the alarm - the people are being poisoned! Chinese will feed us with love.
Tursunbai Bakir Uulu, deputy of parliament:
- First of all, from fruits and vegetables. Secondly, from the pastry; thirdly, imported juices and drinks. There are few patriots in the government who would protect the interests of domestic producers, so the country's markets flooded with goods and essentials of the States and abroad in the interests of the state. I understand when the KR imports drugs - the pharmaceutical industry is not very well developed here, so there is a need to import the drug. However, I don't understand when it comes to apples, pears and other fruits and vegetables, because we have it all in abundance.
But we have won the CIS with our textiles. It's funny that our products are exported there (note, of excellent quality) and their products are imported to us. For instance, the same Belarusian textiles. In Soviet times, in the presence of our own Kyzyl-Kiya, Kara-Keche, Tash-Kumyr coal, our republic received coal from other republics.
Marina Kolesnikova, translator:
- I guess we could abandon the Coca-Cola and Pepsi without the slightest damage, and with a considerable advantage for the country's economy. Much better for the health to develop our local drinks - maksym, chalap, bozo and many variations on these remarkable and very useful products, while developing their export opportunities abroad. Why do we import insanely expensive and harmful feed for pets from Western producers, if we are able to adjust own production of feed without harmful additives and preservatives on the basis of currently idle meat processing plants, such as Balykchy? Needless to say about the "benefit" of hideously expensive imported alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. But I believe that there will be readers that are not ready to abandon the "small mercies" of life, and it is certainly their right. Absurd - to import cheeses and other dairy products, when we have everything: food base, breeding cattle, abandoned industrial areas, there are experts and, finally, just intelligent people who are ready to develop their own production of dairy products. On the whole, I think that now is a great time for the development of our agriculture, a golden opportunity for smart businessmen ready to invest in the development of domestic processing products. This is a real opportunity to make the very necessary step to independence and prosperity of our country!
Egamberdy Kabulov, freelance journalist:
- We can definitely refuse from chicken legs. After the crisis in 1998, "Bush legs" became unprofitable to import. Now Russia provides itself. It is possible to refuse from Chinese vegetables and fruits, meat, milk. We have all these, but the economic policies, laws don't allow developing our own industry. We need to create the conditions in which businesses in Kyrgyzstan would be profitable to invest in agriculture, processing industry. Virtually all of the basic food for the entire population can be produced within the country. However, it is more profitable to invest in the trade.
But the country could become an exporter of agricultural products, the markets of the Customs Union need many agricultural products. Recently I bought "Dobryi" juice in Novosibirsk, it was produced in Kazakhstan. And why not to produce the same here but at a lower price? And other products too.
Dzhumakadyr Akeneyev, Honored Economist of the KR:
- We don't have direct contracts for the supply of some types of food products from the European Union. If products from Europe are delivered to us, it is all done through agreements with Kazakhstan. Another question that Kyrgyzstan has the need to take a niche in export of meat, milk, fruits and vegetables in Russia and more distant countries. So far, we ship these products to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Answering your question, I would say that Kyrgyzstan could refuse to import the above mentioned products (meat, milk, vegetables, fruits), as well as tobacco and alcohol. I will specify, however, that for the possession of own cigarettes it is necessary to organize their production - the necessary factories should be built. So far, for their release, we have only raw materials, because the tobacco is grown in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Erkin Dzhamanbayev, entrepreneur:
- I think that Kyrgyzstan won't survive without the products from abroad. Flour, pasta, meat, poultry, fish, fruit - domestic production doesn't cover domestic consumption. The concept of food security of the Kyrgyz Republic, which under Akayev, Bakiyev was always wrote about. We can provide ourselves only for potatoes and beans.