Kyrgyzstan's accession to the Eurasian Economic Union, scheduled for early May, can be postponed because of the inconsistency of a number of fundamental positions important to the Republic. This was stated by Acting Economy Minister Temir Sariev.
A treaty of accession of the Kyrgyz Republic to the Eurasian Economic Union was signed at the meeting of the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council in Moscow in December 2014. It was planned that the country will join the union on May 8 - after finishing all domestic ratification procedures. However, at the last meeting of the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) on the level of deputy prime ministers in Moscow on April 23 the parties didn't come to agreement.
Our delegation has clearly maintained the position that the KR will join the Eurasian Economic Union considering its national interests. "Taking into account the differences, there is a risk that the parties may not ratify the agreement on accession and protocols to it by May 8," Temir Sariev said.
24.kg news agency asked the respondents the reasons on possible failure of the signing of the agreement: is it the outcome of bureaucratic red tape or something else?
Igor Shestakov, political scientist:
- Russia and Kazakhstan - the main trade and economic partners of Kyrgyzstan, and we have no directions for exports, except those countries. It was clear in early 2010 that we will become members of the Customs and the Eurasian Economic Union. Therefore, the officials had enough time to solve all of our pressing issues. Here I see two problems. The first is that for four years three governments had changed. Of course, this mess, organized by our deputies, had a negative impact on the situation. After the formation of the Cabinet the new prime minister had to re-take all procedures of underlying documents. This negatively affected and will affect further. Now will be the new government and after the elections the composition of the Cabinet again will be changed. Of course, this mess and instability adversely affect the position of Kyrgyzstan in the Eurasian integration. The second problem is that the officials of the economic block clearly delayed the process. Tried to conduct information campaign, but it failed. Neither the population nor the business community understands where we join and why. I don't see any external influence. I see primarily poor performance of the government. This is the main cause of all our troubles.
Dosmir Uzbekov, professor of international relations in KRSU:
- The reason is that over the past 20 years we have economic situation, which is different than in the Eurasian Economic Union, different relations in the sphere of customs law, foreign trade. Now it is not so simple to put everything in conformity with the Eurasian Economic Union. It takes time, effort. All this should be not only written, but also to agreed and approved. Naturally, the process may be slightly delayed. But it is non-essential. Ultimately, Kyrgyzstan, in any case, will join the union. The date is not important. There is a fundamental decision of Heads of States, the consent of Parliament, support of the population. The main thing - to give officials time, without haste, to finish work, agree on all the conditions for entry, pricing, benefits, in order to avoid new issues and controversies. In this case, everything is fine. In general, there are no problems for Kyrgyzstan's accession to the Eurasian Economic Union.
Zulfiya Marat, an expert:
- The risk of failure is caused by bureaucratic delays, and thanks to third parties and internal reasons. Everyone remembers the actions of one of the Prime Ministers - Zhantoro Satybaldiyev. And now a new prime minister is not appointed yet, but already identified the problem before joining the union, the exact date of which is known at least for six months.
Ivan Geletyuk, chairman of Union Veterans of the Customs Service:
- It is possible that something is not finished in time for technical reasons. Don't have enough time to bring infrastructure and certification into line with the laws of the Eurasian Economic Union. We didn't have time to equip and modernize our laboratories, accredited by them. It seems everything is done in accordance with the Road Map. Why it didn't work? Perhaps, as always, time for execution will be allocated less than necessary.
Andrey Zalepo, expert of the Institute of Corporate Governance and Development:
- Kyrgyzstan's accession to the Eurasian Economic Union - a serious process. There are a lot of questions that should be addressed. The most important thing - to coordinate technical barriers that may appear. In fact, the government has a lot of work, which is difficult to carry out in a short time. I think it is not necessary to associate possible risk of non-signing the treaty of accession to the EEU with resignations in the government. In any case, ministries work, have done many and continue to do. Even if the term of signing will be postponed, there will be obvious reasons. I think the government will try to resolve all outstanding issues in time. Everyone is preparing for May 8.
Murat Suyunbaev, a political scientist:
-This is more of a bureaucratic question because there is a political will. Any obstacle to Kyrgyzstan's accession to the EEU is fraught with political consequences for the minister. It is unlikely that someone put a spoke in the wheel specially. I do not consider that the date of Kyrgyzstan's accession to the Eurasian Economic Union is so important. If prepare documents for a week or two later - nothing will change. Nothing bad will happen if we do not have time. It is unpleasant, of course, but what can we do.
Gulnara Uskenbaeva, the head of the Association of Suppliers of the KR:
-I do not know. Perhaps, some bureaucratic delays are the reason. There may be another reason. In any case, the last point in the ratification will put the parliament. If we talk about the claims of Kyrgyzstan regarding the statutory audit of our veterinary system, it is likely we will have to pass it. Its activity - a necessity. Veterinary service - I talked about this many times - they will not accept it as it is. It is our blame. Because now there is a ban on export of our meat and dairy products. There would be no such requirement, if we had already solved the problems. But we did not. We suspected that after the opening of customs borders our meat and dairy products will still be banned. Now it is happening.
Kairat Osmonoliev, the Chairman of the Advisory Board of the coordination meeting of law enforcement bodies:
-I do not see malice in what is happening. I think the reason is bureaucracy. I do not think someone wants to fully play against Kyrgyzstan's accession to the Eurasian Economic Union. In our conditions this is betrayal. No one would take such responsibility. The Roadmap has many requirements and rules that should be carefully examined, considered, discussed. Thus it is necessary to come to a common decision, but there is no time. Initially, they set limited deadlines. It was obviously impossible. The situation is as saying: we wanted the best, but it turned out as always. Therefore, it is necessary to initially set realistic targets and terms, and then ask about implementation. I am far from thinking that signing is failed due to sabotage. It makes no sense to deter Kyrgyzstan accession to the EEU because we don't have other alternatives. The The Ministry of Economy was originally on the Procrustean bed - both in time and in possibility of full preparation to joining the EEU.
Chinara Esengul, political scientist:
-There are bureaucratic difficulties. Eurasian integration process is accelerated. Kyrgyzstan is not used to it. It has such an experience for the first time. We have stagnated bureaucratic machine, so now we need new ideas, mechanisms, format of work. The process becomes difficult because of this.
If we talk about the problems that were voiced by Temir Sariev, then I understand him. He said that Kyrgyzstan has always insisted on its national interests when negotiating about integration. It seems to me that the minister does not deceive and tells the truth. He worries about the consequences of every step. If in some moments he is not be able to keep national interests, in a few months or years, people will remind him of those decisions when there appear consequences.
At the moment, we don't agree with the Eurasian Economic Commission on two important points. Wee talk about the export of agricultural products. Kazakhstan with a strong agricultural sector does not want competition. Out rate of the cost of agricultural products is lower, so our product can create a good competition in the EEU market. Union countries require audit, and we insist on mutual recognition of control systems. We want to create good conditions not only for migrants, but also for agricultural producers after accession to EEU. If we agree on the audit, not all breeders will pass it, and then they will ask: why have we entered the alliance, if the EEU market is closed for us?
The question now is how to negotiate in order our partners can hear us. If we come to a consensus, and we are understood, the process of accession of the Kyrgyz Republic to the EEU may be temporarily postponed. At most no later than autumn.