The Head of the Road Patrol Service allowed his subordinates to use personal cars for business purposes. It was noted that the decision was caused by a lack of official vehicles for patrol duty. The ban on use of personal cars for business purposes was effective in the country for nearly four years.
24.kg news agency asked the respondents about their attitude towards innovations of the Road Patrol Service. Will increase in the number of patrol cars be a panacea for lawlessness on the roads of Kyrgyzstan?
Kubat Rakhimov, Chairman of the Commerce and Industry Chamber's Committee on industrial policy, export promotion, infrastructure development and logistics:
- There are two variants. The first (similar, but from the 19th century): it is necessary to switch over to the U.S. system of sheriffs. People elect them on their territory, and they are responsible for order in the assigned area, often using private transport. But we have to make a lot of amendments to the legislation because a sheriff is an elected person. Do not we get legalized "crime- sponsored cover" or something like that? The more so driving blacked-out Lexus cars. Perhaps it will have bad consequences for our country. Or it is necessary to stop the game with the mind and introduce the European standard: a policeman on duty should not carry anything personal - money, cell phone, jewelry, especially use personal car or motorcycle. But the state takes all the commitments for the conscientious performance of duty, including wages and insurance, using the most severe mechanism of control over the police. And in general, it's high time to switch over to the police, instead of militia, to restart the entire system of the Ministry of Interior, to separate the functions of the road and the parking police.
Oksana Vasilyeva, resident of Kara-Balta town:
- I support the idea. What is wrong with it? What's new? In the regions, traffic police officers are often on duty in their private car. We just can not buy required number of cars for the whole country. But an order on the roads is still needed. I do not think something will change after the decision of Sergei Dyachenko. He just tries to legitimize the done deal. Nothing will change for drivers who follow the rules. Only those drivers, who routinely violate the traffic rules, will reject the initiative. They will have to obey the traffic regulations for fear to face traffic police round the corner.
Bakyt Degenbaev, entrepreneur, founder of "Buy made in Kyrgyzstan" group:
- I am totally against. It will bring nothing good.
Denis Berdakov, political scientist:
- This initiative comes from poverty. The Road Patrol Service has not enough cars. What should the senior officials of the service do? Right, use the transport that employees have. A standard contract will be signed between an employee and the traffic police, the car will be repainted, equipped with special signals and number plates. In terms of road users the difference is minimal. Theoretically, this should increase the support of public services: there will me more vehicles, so the patrol will be improved. Although, in fact, it is not about the cars and whether they are private or not. The fact is that the main part of the law enforcement system is dysfunctional, and its officials themselves often violate the laws.
Azamat Aitbaev, blogger, Karakol:
- This initiative shows that we are moving backwards instead of forwards! I have a couple of videos with the traffic police, where they work without special vehicles. I asked them why they work using private car. Having heard the question, they immediately left the posts on the streets. And if we now come to them, they will say: we have such a law. I think traffic police officers should be removed from the roads of the Kyrgyz Republic! We need to install surveillance cameras in the streets, as it is in normal states.
Ekaterina Svetacheva, Bishkek:
- It is bad. Traffic police will get pretty brazen and start lying.
Erkin Sarymsakov, employee of an international organization:
- I think the idea of the head of the Road Patrol Service is a forced measure. The city lacks official cars for officers. Many vehicles, I think, are not in a satisfactory condition. Situation on the roads is stalemate. Traffic police officer will be more operative using a private car. On the other hand, people fear that "rogue cops" will appear on the roads. But one can check the documents of an officer, his badge anytime. There is, of course, the reverse side of this idea, negative. But I say again, it is forced idea.
Kanybek Urmatov, taxi driver:
- I'm against. It is quite insolent. Instead of restoring order, the head of the Road Patrol Service does his best for his employees. They only think about themselves and how to line their pockets. I've read that the Prime Minister ordered to reform the service. Is it the reform? Traffic cops first violate traffic rules, they do not obey, and as a result the common people suffer.
Alexander Zelichenko, police colonel:
- Negative. Of course, this is a necessary measure. It is better to work using office cars. If you remember, a categorical ban on use of private cars for service purposes was imposed. Now the head of the traffic police is forced to cancel the order. The government is, unfortunately, not able to provide the traffic officers with necessary transport. Therefore it is necessary to take such measures. I hope the norm will be abolished some day, and the traffic police officers will get transport, equipment and wages in full.
- What for results will the measure bring?
-Mobility, the ability to respond more quickly to the situation on the roads. And the reaction of drivers on the traffic police with a car is completely different than on those without it. Still, offenders will understand that they could be caught up.
Vladimir Pluzhnik, director of Vigens human rights center:
- It is not a violation as a matter of law. What matters is that each driver should see patrol dislocation sheet. But the traffic police officers will not show it them clearly.