Commercial banks of Kyrgyzstan have not suffered great losses due to hacker attacks on ATMs. The National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic informed 24.kg news agency.
The National Bank noted that the technical infrastructure has been attacked. At the same time, the names of commercial banks, ATMs of which were attacked, are not voiced due to ethical reasons.
"We can not voice the amount of damage caused. Activity of the attackers in Kyrgyzstan was stopped, so the banks have not suffered significant losses. But the investigation is underway. We can not voice the sum till its end," the National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic noted.
International criminal group remotely committed a series of cyber attacks on ATMs in more than 10 countries, including Kyrgyzstan, Russia, CIS and EU countries.
Now the National Bank together with commercial banks is working to strengthen the security system of financial and credit institutions. It is noted that there was no direct threat to the cardholders during the attacks.
It is recommended to adhere to certain security measures to prevent unauthorized access to a card:
- Carefully read the instruction for use of the card.
- Never write the PIN on the card!
- Remember PIN and destroy PIN envelope.
- Write PIN code only encrypted.
- Never carry PIN with the card.
- Do not tell PIN to anyone - either bank staff or law enforcement officials or cashiers in the outlets.
- Do not give card to third parties, even to family members, especially if they go abroad. If the ATM for some reason withdraws the card from the person to whom it was given, then difficulties may arise.
- In the case a card is lost or stolen, immediately contact the bank for its blocking. When blocking it, you need to voice the code word. Do not confuse a code word with a PIN!